Apr 28, 2017
Research shows family volunteering teaches empathy, community responsibility and good citizenship to young people; strengthens families through improved communication and time together; and meets critical community needs by encouraging philanthropy – Doing Good Together™
The Highlands community came out in force for the 3rd annual Doing Good Together Family Service Fair, a fun evening dedicated to helping others. Adults and children of all ages participated in this open house event featuring a variety of kid-friendly service projects. Together we:
- Assembled 85 adoption packets and 303 doggie treat thank you gifts for families making the choice to adopt rescue dogs (Spot’s Last Stop)
- Decorated 65 quilt squares and stuffing 154 fabric toys for babies in need (Bundles of Love)
- Donated 4 bikes in support of low-income youth on the White Earth Reservation (RezCycle )
- Signed 51 postcards urging the Edina City Council to take action on climate change and protect our earth for generations to come (iMatter)
- Prepared 547 single-use portions of laundry detergent in support of people transitioning out of homelessness (Aeon)
- Decorated 105 lunch bags for meal delivery to homebound senior citizens (Metro Meals on Wheels)
- Wrote 77 cards of support and welcome to refugees and immigrants who have made their homes in Minnesota (International Institute of Minnesota)
- Assembled 180 snack bags in support of families in crisis (Greater Minneapolis Crisis Nursery)
- Practiced philanthropy through the donation of $134.76 in support of economically disadvantaged students in Edina: Academics (Summer Camp at Kici Yapi) $54.93; Arts (summer band lessons) $37.42; Athletics (Edina soccer) $42.41) (Edina Give & Go)
- Pledged to keep working to make the world a better place (Doing Good Together photo project; check it out!)
Keep practicing kindness, compassion and generosity as a family by Service Small Gathering!
For more ideas on fun, easy ways to make kindness and compassion a family habit, explore Doing Good Together’s resources.
The Family Service Fair needs a new chair for next year’s event, which will take place in the fall.
Please consider signing up! For more information contact Nassim at email@example.com